In T 1.6 Tradition in Original Christianity, Part 6, The Apostles Taught About Our Adversary, the Devil, and that We Have the Power to Overcome Him we looked at an overview of the role of the Adversary in the world today. After a review of some key points, we are going to get into more …
This web is a look at primitive, original Christianity, how it developed over time into innumerable denominations and divisions and how original Christianity compares to current practices. It is a resource for looking systematically at the beliefs and practices in the original Christian church, numerous movements and churches since, the modern Christian church, with discussion about how all these changes happened and especially focusing on how well each of these compares to scripture.
"Jesus Christ is Lord" is the common belief of billions of Christians. But there are tens of thousands of denominations. While ancient denominations like the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox claim to be the original and consequently "true" church, innumerable churches and denominations have started citing error in these ancient bastions and/or the leading of the spirit to reform the church and restore the church.
There are numerous disputed issues. Cessation doctrine (prophecy and the gifts of the spirit ended with the apostles), infant baptism, the inerrancy of Scripture, the form of Church government, the role of women in the church, and currently, the acceptance of homosexuality are just some of the many disputed doctrines that cause the Christian body to be so divided.
The Reformation movement performed an invaluable service. But instead of simply reforming the church or simply working to create one more correct alternative church the Reformation movement worked to increase the number of disputes over scripture and consequently the number of splits has increased exponentially.
The problem with looking at all the denominations is that it can become confusing to just compare this church or denomination to that one. The complexity of looking at all the theological implications can become overwhelming. For many busy people that means just making the best, less than fully educated decision they can, and staying with the church of their heritage or finding a church where they feel they can grow. Just finding the information can be an overwhelming task. Putting it into some understandable framework is an even more complicated task.
This web site, rather than trying to just compare all the current positions on the differences goes back to the beginning (primitive, original Christianity) and evaluates Christianity starting at that point. This includes looking at the gospel accounts, but also includes looking at early church documents as well as other ancient documents, both secular and religious. (There is also a section on Philosophy because its profound impact on Christian theological development.) The articles have numerous references to works both in print and online.
Next the web site looks at the developments in Christianity from original Christianity forward to see how the church developed over time comparing each development with what we know about original Christianity. The goals are:
- To trace the development of the church from start to now to see how the church at large wound up with all these competing churches/denominations today, and
- To equip people with the knowledge of original Christianity to enable people to make an informed decision on what is the true faith and practice of the church Jesus Christ started.
For an overview of the articles by category, go to the Table of Contents Page.
This is a work in progress. My prayer is that sharing my journey is helpful to you and that together we can grow in the faith that Jesus Christ made available some two thousand years ago.
Also Please Pardon our Dust. There are hundreds of posts and some of them still have typos. If you find typos You can contact Mark at [email protected]. Please be so kind as to mention the name of the post as well as to copy and paste the section with errors. Thank you and God Bless You.
- The Muratorian Canon
- There are Multiple Canons of Scripture in Use Today: Claims of Communal Divine Inspiration; Some Resources that Discuss the Different Canons of Scripture
- Grace – Unmerited Divine Favor
- Paul Warned That There Are Other Gospels That are Distortions of the True Gospel
- At the Root of Division in the Church – Denominational Theology is Rooted in Philosophy, The Nature of Philosophers to Disagree
- The Value of Reading the Writings of the Early Church Fathers, a Little about John Wesley
- This Site has Renamed the Category “Biblical Translation and Interpretation” to “Scriptural Translation and Interpretation, The Development of the Word “Bible”
- Paul’s Thorn in the Flesh was Allowed to Show the Power of Grace and Our Dependence on God
- Why Canaan Was Cursed – A Quick Study in Biblical Interpretation
- We Err When We Don’t Know the Scriptures or the Power of God; Speak in Tongues
- Seek the Lord, Search the Scriptures; the Importance of Faithfulness
- The Spirit Speaks the Same Thing to Different Individuals Example in Scripture
- Basic Christianity (25)
- Canon of Scripture (14)
- Division Intro (2)
- Divisions (29)
- End Times (2)
- Grammar and Logic (4)
- Heresies (5)
- Homosexualtiy (4)
- Introduction (5)
- Jesus' Teaching and Miracles (17)
- Koine (Biblical) Greek (26)
- Liturgy (6)
- Miscellaneous (9)
- Modern Christianity (12)
- Movements (51)
- Objections to Restoring New Testament Christianity (2)
- Original Christianity (28)
- Outside Criticism of Christianity (1)
- Philosophy (19)
- Prayers (3)
- Preface (1)
- Prophecy (3)
- Roman Catholicism (7)
- Scriptural Translation And Interpretation (33)
- Sermons (19)
- Spirit (5)
- The Law and The Prophets (4)
- Theology (1)
- Tradition (27)
- Trinity (24)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Worship Experiences (2)