We have been working on the Lord’s Prayer. Here is what we have worked on so far:
Our Father, who art in heaven.
Hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth, as it is in heaven.
Play the link below to practice the whole section in Greek.
Lords Prayer Section 1 Audio (click link to hear audio)
Practice makes perfect. Practice saying the verses, as well as focusing on the individual words and meanings.
It is important that we don’t lose focus on what the Scriptures are saying that we are learning here in Greek. The first part of the Lord’s prayer is full of praise. Praise is a very important element in the believers walk. In this prayer Jesus teaches us to praise God, noting how holy his name is, that his kingdom is coming, that his will is done, both here on earth and in heaven. Those are great words of praise.
Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. The wild beasts will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches, for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people, the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise. (Isaiah 43:19-21 ESV)
Isaiah was one of the greatest prophets in the old testament. In these verses he is giving God’s words to us. He is stating, that is. God is stating that he made man to praise him. That makes praise hugely important.
You know, praise is for everything. I’ve made a list of things for which we can praise God. Feel free to add whatever you like.
We can praise God (pick all that apply to you):
- for the new day in the morning
- for our family, our spouse, kids, parents, siblings, grandchildren, and so forth
- For the roof over our heads
- for the clothes on our backs
- for the food in our bellies
- for transportation, the ability to get from place to place
- for the birds singing
- for the sun shining
- for the rain that makes things grow, and nourishes us
- for the snow that makes things bright in winter
- for being able to move
- for being able to see, smell, taste, hear, and feel
- for being able to talk, and communicate, and think
- for having people to talk to, for friends, associates, coworkers, caregivers, other believers, and so forth
- for pets
- for the wonders of the Earth; mountains, valleys, planes, lakes, seas, and all the beauty contained therein with the incredible assortment of trees, plants, animals and creatures
- for so many creatures from the little ant that teaches us to work in teams and the bees that make the sweet, sweet honey to the ferocious lion, magnificent elephant, statuesque giraffe, and the massive whale
- for all the current wonders and technologies; cars, cell phones, laptops, TVs, video phones, air travel, space travel, and so forth
- for sending his only begotten son, our Savior, Jesus Christ, to save us and lead us
- for giving us his Spirit that we can connect to him and other believers
- for giving us such a great hope that we will be forever with him
© copyright 2011 Mark W Smith, all rights reserved.